Monday 5 May 2008

Cookies: The Verdict

So I've baked the cookies and they're all cooled and sitting on a plate downstairs. I was right, I did add too much flour, so the dough was rather crumbly, and it was difficult to roll. I think I spent around 15 to 20 minutes rolling out the dough each time! Ugh..

Cut-out Sugar Cookies: Review
Taste: Sweet when warm. Not as sweet as the previous sugar cookies, but certainly sweeter than Nigella Lawson's cut-out butter cookies. Then again, these are sugar cookies. When cold, the sweetness lessens and is overwhelmed by the texture of the cookies (or so I feel).

Texture: Like I said, I put too much flour, and you can tell from the texture. It isn't really biscuit-y or cookie-like, or even cake-y! I'm not sure how to describe it, but it isn't a texture I like (I'm quite particular about food texture). It seems "thick". Like I said, I can't describe it :P

Easiness of recipe: Making the dough is really really easy. After that, it becomes really tedious and takes up alot of time. It's only something I'd do when I'm really bored, feeling restless, and have lots of free time.

Overall: Will I use this recipe again? Maybe once to see what will happen if I play around with the ingredients a little. If the cookies still turn out odd, I don't think I'll use it again.

The Recipe
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups flour (but this is too much - try reducing it to 2 1/4)
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter (or 170g)
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

1. Beat butter and sugar till pale and fluffy, then beat in egg and vanilla.
2. Add flour and salt, and mix till it forms a dough. Knead the dough, if necessary.
3. Divide dough into 2, flatten into 6-inch discs, then wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour.
3. Heat oven to 180C.
4. Roll one disc to 1/4 inch thickness on a well-floured surface with a well-floured rolling pin. Keep flouring the rolling pin and the dough, if needed.
5. Cut out cookies and place on trays about an inch apart.
6. Bake for about 10-12 minutes till edges are starting to turn golden.
7. Reuse scraps for more cookies. If dough becomes too soft to roll, wrap in plastic wrap again and chill for about 10-15 minutes.

I got the recipe from here: this site.

This recipe gave me about 27 cookies, 2 of which weren't cut out, but were just scraps that were pressed into discs. I used a medium-sized heart-shaped cookie cutter. I haven't iced them, as I don't have any icing materials, but I think I may go out and buy chocolate tomorrow to melt and dip them into.

What do you think?


No comments: